1. WHAT IS THERMAL ENERGY STORAGE (TES)?
TES is the storing of excess thermal energy (energy in a system due to its temperature) for future use.
2. HOW DO YOUR THERMAL ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEMS WORK?
3. HOW ARE SYSTEMS BEING USED ON THE GRID AS DISTRIBUTED ENERGY RESOURCES?
The Viking Cold TES system optimizes existing refrigeration equipment in low-temperature facilities. By leveraging the thermodynamic properties of Phase Change Material (PCM) facilities can safely stage down refrigeration equipment for long periods of time while maintaining temperatures and minimizing energy costs. This is accomplished by shifting more run time to periods of the day when energy costs are lower while the PCM absorbs up to 85% of the heat infiltration. TES also reduces total consumption (see HOW DO TES SYSTEMS IMPROVE REFRIGERATION EFFICIENCY? below). The result is an average of 25% greater refrigeration efficiency, improved temperature stability, extended temperature resiliency, and energy cost reductions up to 50%.
View our How TES Works Video
Viking Cold's long-duration thermal energy storage systems have been tested and accepted by utilities and power providers across the US in demand management and efficiency programs for commercial and industrial refrigeration systems. These systems have been proven to store up to 350-500 kW and discharge for 13 hours per day (4.5 to 6.5 MWh), six days a week in a single facility. Our systems have no moving parts, easily install in 90 days, last the lifetime of the freezer, require no maintenance or additional storage space, and have no round trip losses. All this adds up to a Levelized Cost of Energy (LCOE) < 2¢ per kWh.
4. WHAT IS YOUR SYSTEM'S LEVELIZED COST OF ENERGY (LCOE)?
Our long-duration Thermal Energy Storage systems require no additional energy, have a 99% round trip efficiency, and a 20+ year long life with zero maintenance. All this adds up to an LCOE < 2¢ per kWh
5. WHAT IS INCLUDED IN VIKING COLD SOLUTIONS TES SYSTEMS?
6. WHAT IS A PHASE CHANGE MATERIAL (PCM)?
Our Thermal Energy Storage systems have two components:
1. Intelligent Controls, Monitoring & Notifications
- Sub-system easily integrates with existing controls
- Prioritize temperatures and food quality while reducing kWh consumption
- Unique capability to shed load for extended periods while increasing energy efficiency
- Real-time monitoring of temperatures, equipment status, and energy use
- Sub-system easily integrates with existing controls
- Energy efficiency reports and recommendations
- Notifications via email, text, telephone
- Identify equipment or operational issues before they become costly problems
2. Phase Change Material (PCM)
- Individually sealed, non-circulating HDPE cells
- Filled with environmentally-friendly Phase Change Material (PCM)
- PCM formulas range from -20º F to 32º F (-28º C to 0º C)
- Attract and absorb 300 times more heat per pound than frozen food
- Absorb and transfer heat 8 times faster than frozen food
View our System Components Video
Phase Change Materials (PCM) store and release energy when they transition between their solid and liquid states. While changing phases our food-safe engineered PCM attracts and then absorbs 300 times more heat than food. Our PCM also absorbs heat eight times faster and consolidates the heat directly in the refrigeration airflow for more efficient removal.
7. IS YOUR PHASE CHANGE MATERIAL SAFE TO USE?
All our PCM formulations are comprised of deionized water and inorganic salts. They are food safe and environmentally friendly. The entire system is also 100% recyclable.
8. ARE THERE ANY MECHANICAL PARTS IN YOUR TES SYSTEM?
9. WHICH REFRIGERATION SYSTEMS ARE COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR TES SYSTEMS?
No. There are no mechanical parts (pumps, motors, actuators, compressors, etc.) in our TES system. The PCM is housed in self-contained cells mounted in stationary positions throughout the facility. The systems leverage existing refrigeration equipment and do not require any additional energy. In fact facilities with our systems installed use an average of 25% less energy overall.
View our System Components Video
Our solution is refrigeration system agnostic and works with any properly maintained system regardless of manufacturer or refrigerant.
10. WHICH CONTROL SYSTEMS ARE COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR TES SYSTEMS?
Our TES system is extremely flexible and can easily be integrated with any existing control system. If needed, we also have our own control system that can drive the refrigeration system in conjunction with our PCM.
11. DO VIKING COLD TES SYSTEMS AFFECT OTHER FREEZER COMPONENTS?
No. Our system actually integrates with existing racking systems, does not reduce any storage space, does not limit sprinkler or fire suppression systems, will not affect your commodity classification and will not impede or disrupt any logistical operations in your facility. In fact, the system’s controls and remote monitoring actually improve overall efficiencies and allow for predictive maintenance of other system components.
12. CAN YOUR SYSTEMS BE INSTALLED INTO EXISTING FACILITIES (RETROFIT)?
13. WHAT ARE TYPICAL ENERGY SAVINGS?
Yes. Viking Cold systems can be installed as a retrofit, refurbishment or in new construction projects. The sooner they are installed, the sooner that facility will start to see reduced energy expenses, improved temperature stability, and increased refrigeration system efficiencies.
View our System Components Installation Video
Our TES systems increase refrigeration system efficiency an average of 25% and are intelligent and flexible enough to avoid demand and time-of-use charges for up to 13 hours per day. This means clients typically save between 20% and 35% of their energy expenses (some even up to 50%) while maintaining greater temperature stability and adding three times longer temperature resiliency.
14. DO TES SYSTEMS MAINTAIN TEMPERATURE STABILITY?
Yes. Our TES system is engineered to maintain temperature stability within the specific temperature range for each facility. The combination of intelligent controls and PCM that absorbs up to 85% of heat infiltration provides fewer temperature fluctuations and a slower rise in temperatures. This ability also extends temperature resiliency three times longer in the event of a power outage or mechanical breakdown.
15. CAN YOUR SYSTEMS PROVIDE THERMAL BACKUP RESILIENCY?
Yes. In the event of power outages or equipment failure, temperatures remain stable and food is protected three times longer with our TES system installed. This allows much more time for facility operators to make repairs, bring back-up generation online, or source additional fuel.
16. HOW DO TES SYSTEMS IMPROVE REFRIGERATION EFFICIENCY?
TES systems improves the efficiency of existing refrigeration systems in many ways. 1) increasing the percentage of refrigeration run time during hours with lower ambient temperatures 2) running the compressors at maximum designed efficiency levels 3) consolidating up to 85% of the heat infiltration directly in the refrigeration air flow 4) no additional mechanical components or parasitic energy consumption 5) the PCM’s higher heat transfer rate (eight-times that of frozen food). All of this means more heat is removed using less equipment run time and an average of 25% fewer kWh. The reduced mechanical run time of the refrigeration equipment also leads to less maintenance and longer equipment life.
17. DO YOUR SYSTEMS INTEGRATE WITH ON-SITE SOLAR POWER GENERATION?
18. HOW LONG DO YOUR SYSTEMS LAST?
Yes. Our system pairs very well with onsite solar/PV generation to dramatically increase solar ROI. Our solar clients
have seen a reduction of 39% annualized energy expenditures and 95% overnight grid reduction, directly addressing grid challenges related to the “duck curve”.
Viking Cold TES system should last the life of the freezer and have been cycle tested for over 20+ years.
19. HAVE YOUR TES SYSTEMS BEEN APPROVED OR VERIFIED BY ANY OUTSIDE PARTIES?
20. HOW ARE YOUR SYSTEMS PRICED?
Yes. Our system installations have been tested, accepted, and funded by numerous utilities as part of energy saving incentive programs, as well as being proven effective in a third-party validation study (click here)
performed by the California Energy Commission’s Emerging Technology Coordinating Council and third-party engineering firms.
Our Thermal Energy Storage-as-a-Service (TESaaS) installs systems with no upfront capital investment or operational risks and delivers guaranteed savings.
- Cash-flow positive from day one
- Zero CAPEX
- Risk free savings
- Fixed monthly expense paid out of savings
- Monitoring and maintenance included
- Off balance sheet service agreement